GOOD TASTE DIET
Many people have been trying to help those who were suffering from overweight and clearly many different possible solutions were suggested.
It was the beginning of 2004 when d. Romoli searched for his own answer to the problem. At that time, he had already seen more than 25.000 patients and around half of them wanted to lose weight. He suggested them a (mainly) Vegetarian Diet, rich in whole cereals and dissociated( one protein at a time), added the right phytotherapy and Kneipp cure. He had had good results: who was overweight, lost weight, and those underweight, put on kilos. He had seen patients lose up to 10 kg in 1 month, and up to 25 kg in a whole treatment of few months. In spite of this he had observed that his method was insufficient with great obeses and with some patients that seemed to resist much more than others. However, he seldom managed to bring them to the ideal weight. He thought he needed something more efficient, specific to these cases.
He began his search and after different attempts, and having considered all the diets available at that time, he focused on the protein diet.
Since the 70's prof. George L. Blackburn in the United States had discovered how effective to lose weight could be a diet based on protein. On the web it's still possible to read the results of his experiments.
The new diet was giving encouraging results and attracted attention in the losing-weight world. Others tried different approaches on the same route, giving birth to similar diets (Atkins, Weightwatchers, Scarsdale, Zona, Herbalife, South Beach, of the astronauts, points diet, just to name the most famous ones). What they had in common was a large use of protein and a reduction of intake in sugar.
The problem was that in 2004 d. Romoli had already seen many patients who had followed a protein diet. They had lost weight, but with a lot of side effects especially to their kidneys, their metabolism, and their nervous system. And many of them had lost in a blink of an eye the results so hardly achieved. He believed that this failure was due to the same old problem: unfortunately losing weight was the priority in their treatment, and not make them better, improving their health as a whole. He just needed to act on this matter as he had been doing with all the other cases for so long.
And he decided to create his own variety of the protein diet that:
1. could minimize the side effects he observed but was still efficient to lose weight
2. gave results that lasted.
The answer was always the same: taking the best of his own experiences and of others, trying to choose every step of the way, what was more natural and best for the patient.
About the side effects, he thought that the cause was the violent approach, not enough adapted to that particular case. Besides it lacked the power of plants to support the patients and there was too little consideration of the pathologies for which many of those were taking drugs, responsible for part of the overweight. Often the patient was not under medical supervision and even when he was, many times they hadn't gone through those tests that make everything more scientific and safe; the measure at each consultation of
2.the amount of lean and fat mass
4.blood tests in special cases.
Only in this way the doctor could be reasonably sure that he was monitoring the situation closely and that his patient was really and globally improving.
So d. Romoli thought that solving these problems was not so difficult .
Making the results more lasting was a more complex matter. But in the previous years of practice he had observed a very important fact: those patients who had reached the ideal weight and in a less violent way, were more likely to maintain it.
This was probably due to a combination of factors:
1. after so many years the patients was able to have the body they always wanted; this was too important to them to be endangered so lightly
2. now that they were back in good form, they could work out much more easily, and this was a great asset
3. their metabolism was more balanced, even because of the right phytotherapy that d. Romoli had been using with success for many years.
Conclusion: it was imperative to bring the patients to the ideal weight.
But because of the fact that many of them had more than 30 kilos to lose, the duration of the diet was itself a negative factor, increasing the possibility of a relapse into old and wrong habits, overweight included.
So the right diet had to be:
1. fast and effective, to decrease the times
2. balanced and built on the case, to minimize the side effects
3. good tasting, with the tastiest food possible, because you last more on a diet if you like the food
4. with a great variety of food, because if you have a large choice, it's less likely to get tired.
And so was born the GOOD-TASTE-DIET.
It's hypoglycidic-hypolipidic-standardproteic-hypocaloric diet.
Hypoglycidic means that brings an amount of sugars lower than suggested to someone of that age, height, bone and muscle mass, occupation and physical activity.
Hypolipidic means that brings an amount of fats lower than suggested to someone of that age, height, bone and muscle mass, occupation and physical activity.
Normoproteic means that brings the amount of proteins suggested to someone of that age, height, bone and muscle mass, occupation and physical activity.
Hypocaloric means that brings an amount of calories lower than suggested to someone of that age, height, bone and muscle mass, occupation and physical activity.
In other words, a diet with less sugar and fat, but with a standard quantity of proteins. However with fewer calories than the ones burnt by the body, otherwise fat deposits don't get consumed.
For those who are unfamiliar with this topic, a further explanation can help.
We eat for different reasons:
1. We need food that will be used as fuel, to generate energy that will be used by every cell of the body. And this can be achieved mainly with sugars, fats and proteins.
2. We need materials to rebuild every cell that degrades or dies. And this can be achieved with water, fibers, vitamins, minerals but mainly with proteins.
Our body has been studied to spare proteins, so rare in nature.
Therefore if we take just the quantity needed to the reconstruction, it won't use them to produce energy, leaving this job to sugars and fats. But what if we don't take them either? It will melt the deposits mainly of fats to generate energy and it will spare the proteins for nobler goals. And that's exactly what we were looking for. To burn fat mass and keep or even better to increase lean mass.
The slimming project created by d. Romoli is formed by:
1. A diet providing the standard amounts of water, fibers, vitamins, minerals and proteins, but very few sugars and fats, using the tastiest dishes possible so that becomes probable to reach the ideal weight. This diet was diversified into 5 different dietetic plans, according to the case.
2. Physical training to increase the number of calories burnt by the body.
4. Physical therapies ( Kneipp cure) with vegetal extracts.
5. Proper interruption of the system when the objective has been obtained.
From 2004 till today, d. Romoli has been using his 6 dietetic plans with a lot of patients and with extraordinary results: some of them had lost more than 14 kilos in the first month, even if the majority loses around 8 kilos. His previous end-diet-record (25kilos) was beaten as soon as he introduced his new system. By now he has seen many who have lost 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 and, in one case, even 80 kilos! This happened without too many sacrifices, in a reasonable amount of time, maintaining and often increasing lean mass, improving the whole situation. Many patients managed to reach the ideal weight and, most important of all, they kept it for years.
A immense satisfaction for him and a great improvement for his patients' health.